Using special signs

May 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM
Hi

I'm using SharpZebra to print visitors labels. One problem though. I need to use swedish characters like ÅÄÖ. Is it possible?

Thanks
Jun 26, 2008 at 8:11 AM
I'm having the same problem but I don't know how to solve it. Maybe I have to download fonts to the Zebra printer but I don't know which font is using the SharpZebra Library. Do you have any idea?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2008 at 6:56 PM
Reading the manual, it looks like the standard fonts support swedish/nordic characters. Look at the character map in the appendix. Ä is represented by the ascii code 142. The only question is that I don't know what you need to send to the printer. You might have a look at trying to send it the hexadecimal value in the DATA bit of the TextCommand.

Cheers,
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM
I need to write the 'Ñ' character. I finally send this special character but the font does not have this character and writes a different one. Which font and size do I have to load to the zebra machine that the SharpZebra Library is using?

Thanks
Jun 30, 2008 at 8:14 AM
I didn't solve it. I skipped SharpZebra and printed as you would have done to a normal printer instead.
Mar 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM
unosan wrote:
I need to write the 'Ñ' character. I finally send this special character but the font does not have this character and writes a different one. Which font and size do I have to load to the zebra machine that the SharpZebra Library is using?

Thanks

I don't know if you already solve it. I sent a "I8,A,034" command to the printer:

• I. Character Set Selection. Page 110 of the EPL manual
  • 8. 8 bits data
  • A. Windows 1252 CodePage (Latin1)
  • 034. Spanish, but this is for KDU

Hope this helps

Manuel

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I am trying to print arabic text on my label, but I'm getting garbage symbols. Is the problem with my encoding used in the TextWrite method, or is it with the font used by the printer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Iman

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Edited Aug 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM

You'll need a compatible Zebra printer (not all support Arabic text), and then you can download the Arabic font pack here:

http://www.zebra.com/us/en/products-services/accessories/font-packs.html

That's the most efficient solution.

However, for those of us that don't have printers that support these font packs, I have uploaded a new "patch".  This new version renders any text in any font as a bitmap, uploads the bitmap to the printer's RAM drive, and then places the image onto the label.

Here's a sample on how to use it:

(Easy method)

PrinterSettings ps = new PrinterSettings();
ps.PrinterName = "ZDesigner S4M-203dpi ZPL";
//ps.RamDrive = 'R'; this is the default setting. 
//If your printer's RAM drive is a different drive letter, it must be set here!

List<byte> page = new List<byte>();
page.AddRange(ZPLCommands.ClearPrinter(ps));

page.AddRange(ZPLCommands.CustomStringWrite(10, 10, ElementDrawRotation.NO_ROTATION, new Font("Arial", 50, GraphicsUnit.Pixel), "резкое зебра"));

page.AddRange(ZPLCommands.PrintBuffer(1));
new SpoolPrinter(ps).Print(page.ToArray());           

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I already tried to print the Arabic label as an image and it looks great, but my issue is with the performance of printing each label, especially that I have another image to print beside the text. I am targeting to print bulk amounts of labels

Anyways, its great to have that new patch, will download and check the performance of it.

Thanks a lot,

Iman

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Yes, performance is the issue with uploading text as graphics.  Our base printer connected via network still prints at max speed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was slower when hooked up through the serial port.

If any of your text does not change or is common, you can store it to the printer's flash so you don't have to re-upload the image for each print.  I was successfully using that method until my requirements changed...

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM
thekua wrote:
Reading the manual, it looks like the standard fonts support swedish/nordic characters. Look at the character map in the appendix. Ä is represented by the ascii code 142. The only question is that I don't know what you need to send to the printer. You might have a look at trying to send it the hexadecimal value in the DATA bit of the TextCommand.

Cheers,

where do I get the manual?

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM

thekua was referring to the epl programming guide I'm sure, which is easily found typing that into google.  It's just as easy to find the ZPL manual (volumes 1 & 2) that way...