PCX file generation

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Hello,

basically the DLL works great for me, thanks for that!

My problem is the generation of  "valid" pcx files. My gimp generated pcx files are not printed correctly. In contrast the with the source code delivered pcx files 'testImage.pcx' are printed correctly. My gimp says testImage.pcx has a 8 : 1 compression and my pcx files a 3:1, 6:1 or 12:1 compression.

What is the origin of the testImage.pcx? Or how can I convert a jpg or bmp to a valid pcx file?

Thanks in advance

Bernhard

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM

The problem is the format of the PCX file.  The file is formatted differently depending on the number of colours in the image.  GIMP for some reason will not save in the 1-bit PCX format, even if the image mode is set to 1-bit.

The solution I found was to save the image in GIMP as a BMP, making sure the image is set to 1-bit (black and white) mode.  Then download and install imagemagick, and use the convert program to convert it to PCX.  You don't need any flags as long as the source BMP is saved properly in 1-bit mode:  "convert myImage.bmp myImage.pcx" works fine.

Thanks,

Rob

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:52 AM

GIMP (indexed graphic save as BMP) -> imagemagick "convert myImage.bmp myImage.pcx"

works great

many thanks

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Hi 

I've done this several times but still can not correctly display the image, how do you get the picture is exactly 1 bit black and white? I could spend a sample image?

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Edited Sep 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM

You're using gimp and imagemagick? I haven't tried recently.. I don't use EPL2 much anymore.  Those 2 programs use to work perfectly..

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Yes, i use those two programs, gimp for save image in bmp with indexed graphic and imagemagick for convert in pcx but image do not print correct.

if I open with gimp image pcx looks good.

I've noticed that the size of the hard disk image is 2kb, do not how to have the image size is 1kb having print.pcx , this can be the problem?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Sorry, forgot to respond:

Your picture sounds like it might be ok.  Are you using the main library off the front page or the updated patch version?  The main version in the download tab has issues uploading images to printers.  I have that issue fixed in the patched version (source code/patches).